“The best thing the US government sent after Hurricane Katrina arrived in a gray t-shirt with the AmeriCorps logo.”
– Jim Pate, Former Executive Director, New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity
New Orleans Habitat is looking for men and women who are ready to GET THINGS DONE! NOAHH relies on the work of AmeriCorps National Direct, AmeriCorps VISTA and AmeriCorps NCCC members to fulfill its mission. AmeriCorps members have demonstrated strength of character and determination of spirit in the various assignments they undertake on behalf of the affiliate. They continue to exhibit tremendous courage, resilience and innovation on both the construction site and in the office.
Are you looking to join the 2021-22 NOAHH AmeriCorps team? Applications are now open!
Why choose to spend a year serving with NOAHH?
New Orleans is an amazing city with so much to offer anyone who lives here! From live music, to historical landmarks, to Mardi Gras and festivals galore, New Orleans sure is a special place! Our AmeriCorps members work really hard, but find time to get out and explore their neighborhoods, eat delicious food, play in the many parks and enjoy everything that is “New Orleans.” NOAHH AmeriCorps members get the chance to see and do something different and fun each month as a team. These events have included NBA Basketball games, putt putt, Laser tag, Haunted Ghost Tours, Swamp Tours and more.
We think AmeriCorps and New Orleans are both great, but here are some other benefits to serving with us!
- Option to live with other NOAHH AmeriCorps members in a Habitat home, with a rent of only $100/month.
- Opportunity to gain leadership skills, as well as personal development.
- Monthly events sponsored by NOAHH (including dinners, monthly outings with AmeriCorps, etc)
- $5,500 Educational Award at the end of service term (starts August 2016 and end July 2017)
- Loan Deferment during service term
- Ability to make a HUGE impact in a community that needs it!
Email Bradley Holland to apply.
AmeriCorps National Direct Construction Crew Leaders
Construction Crew Leaders will build affordable and decent housing for families in Orleans Parish and complete home repair projects as part of our A Brush With Kindness Program. Members in this position will lead volunteers daily, while learning and applying construction skills.
- Ability to take initiative and be a leader
- Ability to learn new tasks and be flexible
- A strong history of volunteering preferred
- Focused and goal-oriented.
- Positive attitude and strong sense of tea
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people
- Experience working with volunteers or teaching/group facilitation experience desirable
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Must have your own vehicle
- Ability to be on one’s feet for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift 50 lbs on a regular basis
- Ability and confidence to work on ladders and heights up to two-stories
- Ability and confidence working on single-story and two-story roofs
- Ability to work in varying weather conditions – sites are not heated during winter and not air conditioned in the summer
- Ability to work outdoors year round in temperatures from highs in the upper 90s and lows in the 30s