New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity has been a part of the New Orleans community for over 30 years. In that time, the affiliate has built over 550 homes and, between 2006 and 2012, contributed more than $300 million in economic impact. NOAHH was one of the first organizations to begin rebuilding after the storms and floods of 2005, and our programs have expanded since then to meet the continuing needs of the area. The families served by our affiliate are the keepers of tradition and culture that make our city unique and the hard working people that contribute so much to our communities. To work for NOAHH is to work for the preservation and improvement of the city of New Orleans.
NOAHH currently employs about 40 staff, including AmeriCorps members, part time, and full time employees as construction staff, ReStore staff, and office staff. We are committed to New Orleans and the fight against poverty housing, and a highlight of the experience is the opportunity to work alongside our partner families and see the tangible results of our efforts to change lives and communities.
Cover letter and resumes should be addressed to
New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity Human Resources
2900 Elysian Fields Ave.
New Orleans, LA 70122
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE!
New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity is a drug free workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer. NOAHH will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran or disability status. NOAHH is actively recruiting Section III certifiable applicants from New Orleans or the greater metropolitan area. Women- and minority-owned businesses are also encouraged to apply.
Opportunities for Sub-Contractors
New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity invites contractors with the following trades to apply for current opportunities: HVAC, Foundation, Electrical, Plumbing and Sheetrock. Please provide your contractor’s license number (as appropriate), proof of insurance, and a list of jobs and references as well as contact information to email@example.com. Applications accepted via email only.
DBE-certified and non-DBE contractors
New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity, Inc. (NOAHH) will be accepting quotes for local construction projects. The scopes of work include but are not limited to the following: electrical, plumbing, site prep, installation of pilings, sheetrock install, HVAC, foundation, flatwork, block work, closed cell foam insulation, cabinets, landscaping, vibration monitoring, pump truck, etc. Material quotes for the following: concrete, trusses, paint, flooring. NOAHH encourages any DBE certified contractors to submit quotes.
Please contact Ellen at firstname.lastname@example.org for an application package.
Volunteer Services Assistant
The Volunteer Services Department manages NOAHH’s volunteer base, working to ensure that all volunteers have the best possible experience, beginning with the sign up process and ending with follow up after their volunteer time with us. The primary function of this position is to support the Director of Volunteer Services administratively. This person will work with the Director of Volunteer Services to ensure that all communication with volunteers and other departments is done in a timely manner. The position would be part-time, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Responsible for coordination of online volunteer schedule. This includes coordinating with Construction Department on assigning construction sites, inputting information into the system, updating schedules at least twice a week, confirming volunteers, making them aware NOAHH policies and of any changes for their volunteer day, and lastly ensuring that all information in the system and on the weekly schedules is correct and communicated to all departments.
- Communicate with out of town volunteers, regarding Volunteer Fees, transportation, housing, etc.
- Input all volunteer waivers into the registration system as soon as received and time permitting.
- Coordinate community service/court ordered volunteers & documents and work with ReStore staff on placement of said volunteers.
- Assist with answering Volunteer Services phone calls and returning calls, fielding questions and guaranteeing that NOAHH will do everything to make the volunteer experience positive.
- Responsible for any additional tasks as they emerge.
- Knowledge of, and willingness to promote, the mission and activities of Habitat for Humanity
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people
- Detail oriented and highly organized and able to work independently
- Works well with others and is a team player
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Public speaking experience preferred
- Knowledge of Salesforce and/or other Volunteer Database a plus
Construction Site Supervisor
This position will be to supervise the construction of affordable homes for New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity (NOAHH). This individual should be skilled in all aspects of new construction. This person must possess excellent people skills and is enthusiastic about teaching and working with unskilled volunteers and prospective homeowners in all aspects of residential construction. As the on-site person, you will oversees the actual work being performed by volunteers and sub-contractors for the specific site and also perform skilled tasks as required to pass inspections and prepare site for volunteer groups.
- Teach, supervise and perform all construction tasks necessary to complete a residential structure upholding extensive energy efficiency standards while maintaining a safe work site and positive volunteer experience.
- Following an assigned construction schedule,
- The construction supervisor’s primary role is to plan, manage and work alongside volunteers and other staff.
- Supervise and perform all activities for new construction sites.
- Directly manage each project through to completion and issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy
- Oversee the construction schedule and adjust sub-contractors and vendors as necessary to stay on schedule while consulting with construction field manager.
- Plan and arrange for the on-site availability of tools, equipment, and material as necessary.
- Communicate clearly and professionally with material vendors to ensure on-time delivery of supplies throughout the build.
- Properly order and return materials used from construction warehouse following inventory control procedures.
- Ensure that all safety policies and procedures are followed at all times.
- Maintain a clean and safe worksite at all times.
- Respond promptly to findings from frequent, random safety inspections.
- Act as an on-site ambassador for the mission of NOAHH.
- Clearly communicate expectations to AmeriCorps members.
- Properly train AmeriCorps members to enable them to perform at the expected skill level.
- Effectively train and manage regular volunteers on site.
- Ensure partner families actively take part in the building process while on-site.
- Periodically take part in safety and technical trainings arranged by management.
- Communicate professionally with other departments regarding questions or concerns.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of residential construction including new, rehab and repair.
- Ability to read residential blueprints.
- Ability to solve problems efficiently to maintain forward progress on complicated projects.
- Proven proficiency in peer management and dissemination of pertinent information.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills necessary to communicate clearly and professionally with volunteers, contractors and suppliers, and to address cross-departmental issues.
- Ability to devise and teach – with patience – simple construction methods.
- Ability to manage large groups of unskilled people.
- Have a temperament that is suitable for the environment of a volunteer crew and the ability to create a work environment that is cheerful, productive and inclusive.
- High school diploma required and bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum 2 years of direct on-site residential construction experience is required.
- Organized construction training and education to complement experience is preferred.
- One or more years as a construction lead person.
- Ability to adequately traverse a residential construction job site (i.e. climbing, lifting, carrying a minimum of 50 lbs. and other similar activities as required).
- Ability to safely use residential construction power tools.
- Ability to safely operate a construction vehicle (pickup truck or similar).
- Ability to work in all types of weather (i.e. rain, heat, cold and direct sun).
- Fulltime/ non-exempt
- Health insurance
- Paid time off (vacation/sick/holiday)
NOAHH’s work in the community is supported by proceeds from the Habitat ReStore on Elysian Fields Avenue. Our ReStore accepts donations of new and gently used furniture, building materials, appliances, cabinets, lighting, plumbing, flooring, hardware, interior décor and more. Open to the public, ReStore sells these items at significant discounts, providing an opportunity for everyone to save their hard-earned money and complete their home improvement and do-it-yourself projects affordably.
Following a few years of exceptional growth, NOAHH’s ReStore operation is expanding! We aim to open a second ReStore location around late summer/early fall 2017.
The ReStore Director will be responsible for the overall direction and management of New Orleans’ Habitat ReStores: supervising store managers and their teams in day-to-day operations, developing strategic relationships – with major donors and others – that benefit the ReStore and working to maximize the ReStore’s positive financial impact to the affiliate.
For the next 12-16 months, the ReStore Director will be focused primarily on the second ReStore venture: contributing to store layout and design, hiring and training new staff, recruiting volunteers, preparing and marketing for a Grand Opening, developing and implementing coordinated donations and sales systems, and building a culture of consistent excellence and service that reflects NOAHH’s values.
- Oversee opening of 2nd ReStore and provide leadership for both stores
- Maintain safe workplaces for all staff, volunteers and customers
- Develop an annual budget in conjunction with the Director of Operations, and meet budgetary goals, including gross sales and net revenue
- Supervise and support the ReStore Managers and their teams in the following processes: staff scheduling, donation pickups and intake, pricing, material handling, volunteer management, customer service, merchandising, sales growth, etc.
- Supervise and support the Donations Manager in the following processes: donor prospect identification, solicitation, scheduling, acquisition, acknowledgment, relationship management, outreach strategy, capacity building, etc.
- Accurately track and report financial information to Finance department
- Work with the Advancement Department to develop marketing strategies tailored to both donors and customers – especially leading up to the new ReStore’s Grand Opening – including social media, email newsletters and other promotional strategies
- Work with the Volunteer Department to recruit volunteers, emphasizing local volunteer retention and the development of a core volunteer program
- Liaise with Habitat for Humanity International when appropriate to capitalize on Supplemental ReStore Merchandise (SRM) or other ReStore development opportunities
- Plan and host events with local partners to increase awareness of opportunities to donate and shop at the ReStore
- Provide training and professional development opportunities for ReStore staff
- Track key operational and growth metrics, using them to make ongoing improvements
- Support the NOAHH mission and collaborate on other affiliate initiatives
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3 years management experience or with increasing levels of responsibility, preferably in retail or nonprofit settings
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Motivation to solve problems creatively and as a part of a team
- Ability to lift and move 50lbs
- Knowledge of construction/home repair or point-of-sale systems a plus
- Specific Habitat ReStore experience a plus
Please send a cover letter, resume and three references in a single Word or PDF document to email@example.com. Salary to be commensurate with experience, and NOAHH provides a comprehensive benefits package. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, and the position will be open until filled.