New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity has been a part of the New Orleans community for over 30 years. In that time, the affiliate has built over 550 homes and, between 2006 and 2012, contributed more than $300 million in economic impact. NOAHH was one of the first organizations to begin rebuilding after the storms and floods of 2005, and our programs have expanded since then to meet the continuing needs of the area. The families served by our affiliate are the keepers of tradition and culture that make our city unique and the hard working people that contribute so much to our communities. To work for NOAHH is to work for the preservation and improvement of the city of New Orleans.
NOAHH currently employs about 40 staff, including AmeriCorps members, part time, and full time employees as construction staff, ReStore staff, and office staff. We are committed to New Orleans and the fight against poverty housing, and a highlight of the experience is the opportunity to work alongside our partner families and see the tangible results of our efforts to change lives and communities.
Cover letter and resumes should be addressed to
New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity Human Resources
2900 Elysian Fields Ave.
New Orleans, LA 70122
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE!
New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity is a drug free workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer. NOAHH will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran or disability status. NOAHH is actively recruiting Section III certifiable applicants from New Orleans or the greater metropolitan area. Women- and minority-owned businesses are also encouraged to apply.
Opportunities for Sub-Contractors
New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity invites contractors with the following trades to apply for current opportunities: HVAC, Foundation, Electrical, Plumbing and Sheetrock. Please provide your contractor’s license number (as appropriate), proof of insurance, and a list of jobs and references as well as contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications accepted via email only.
DBE-certified and non-DBE contractors
New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity, Inc. (NOAHH) will be accepting quotes for local construction projects. The scopes of work include but are not limited to the following: electrical, plumbing, site prep, installation of pilings, sheetrock install, HVAC, foundation, flatwork, block work, closed cell foam insulation, cabinets, landscaping, vibration monitoring, pump truck, etc. Material quotes for the following: concrete, trusses, paint, flooring. NOAHH encourages any DBE certified contractors to submit quotes.
Please contact Ellen at email@example.com for an application package.
Construction Site Supervisor
This position will be to supervise the construction of affordable homes for New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity (NOAHH). This individual should be skilled in all aspects of new construction. This person must possess excellent people skills and is enthusiastic about teaching and working with unskilled volunteers and prospective homeowners in all aspects of residential construction. As the on-site person, you will oversees the actual work being performed by volunteers and sub-contractors for the specific site and also perform skilled tasks as required to pass inspections and prepare site for volunteer groups.
- Teach, supervise and perform all construction tasks necessary to complete a residential structure upholding extensive energy efficiency standards while maintaining a safe work site and positive volunteer experience.
- Following an assigned construction schedule,
- The construction supervisor’s primary role is to plan, manage and work alongside volunteers and other staff.
- Supervise and perform all activities for new construction sites.
- Directly manage each project through to completion and issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy
- Oversee the construction schedule and adjust sub-contractors and vendors as necessary to stay on schedule while consulting with construction field manager.
- Plan and arrange for the on-site availability of tools, equipment, and material as necessary.
- Communicate clearly and professionally with material vendors to ensure on-time delivery of supplies throughout the build.
- Properly order and return materials used from construction warehouse following inventory control procedures.
- Ensure that all safety policies and procedures are followed at all times.
- Maintain a clean and safe worksite at all times.
- Respond promptly to findings from frequent, random safety inspections.
- Act as an on-site ambassador for the mission of NOAHH.
- Clearly communicate expectations to AmeriCorps members.
- Properly train AmeriCorps members to enable them to perform at the expected skill level.
- Effectively train and manage regular volunteers on site.
- Ensure partner families actively take part in the building process while on-site.
- Periodically take part in safety and technical trainings arranged by management.
- Communicate professionally with other departments regarding questions or concerns.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of residential construction including new, rehab and repair.
- Ability to read residential blueprints.
- Ability to solve problems efficiently to maintain forward progress on complicated projects.
- Proven proficiency in peer management and dissemination of pertinent information.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills necessary to communicate clearly and professionally with volunteers, contractors and suppliers, and to address cross-departmental issues.
- Ability to devise and teach – with patience – simple construction methods.
- Ability to manage large groups of unskilled people.
- Have a temperament that is suitable for the environment of a volunteer crew and the ability to create a work environment that is cheerful, productive and inclusive.
- High school diploma required and bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum 2 years of direct on-site residential construction experience is required.
- Organized construction training and education to complement experience is preferred.
- One or more years as a construction lead person.
- Ability to adequately traverse a residential construction job site (i.e. climbing, lifting, carrying a minimum of 50 lbs. and other similar activities as required).
- Ability to safely use residential construction power tools.
- Ability to safely operate a construction vehicle (pickup truck or similar).
- Ability to work in all types of weather (i.e. rain, heat, cold and direct sun).
- Fulltime/ non-exempt
- Health insurance
- Paid time off (vacation/sick/holiday)
Construction Office Intern
This position will support our office construction team in completion of various tasks and assist other departments as time and schedule permits. Hours will preferably be 10-20 hour per week. Interns will report directly to the office or job sites as required. Hours can be adjusted as needed for school credit requirements.
- Creation of diagrams from construction drawings and other similar tasks
- Collaborating on manuals and guides to make construction process smoother
- Preparing documents and supplies for weekly construction meetings
- Working closely with supervisor to assist with additional tasks as needed
- Filling in on projects on deadline or other urgent matters
- Some tasks may be recurring, others will be project based
- Must be proficient in Microsoft office suite as well as Google suite (g-drive, calendar, etc.)
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to take a sense of ownership in seeing projects through to completion
- Creative problem solving
- Ability to prioritize tasks in order of urgency
- Ability to multitask
- Highly organized
- Ability to work on projects without intense supervision
- Ability to work on team based or individual projects
- Must have reliable transportation
- Desire to work with diverse populations
Please send a cover letter, resume and three references in a single Word or PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Salary to be commensurate with experience, and NOAHH provides a comprehensive benefits package. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, and the position will be open until filled.